New Coat Part 2

As I mentioned in my previous post, I adjusted the pattern originally made.   I wanted to make it a bit longer on her back and I did not like how the neck piece was.   On the first coat, I sewed the neck part, rather than using velco.   On the second coat, I did decide to go with velcro closure rather than sewing it (and I didn’t like it any better lol).

Here are pictures of the second attempt at the longer coat (click images to enlarge):

As you can see, it is longer, but unfortunately, I ended up enlarging the entire coat way too much as well and the neck strap is just all kind of messy for a dog Teq’s size.   On the positive size, for a slightly larger dog, this coat will be fine.

Keeping in mind what I needed to change, I drew up yet another pattern and gave it another go.   This was my next result (click the images to enlarge):

You can see this one is a marked improvement in sizing, but it’s still just a shade too long and I think that it could be tapered a bit more where it comes up on her hind legs.   I changed that on the newest pattern, but I haven’t cut a new one out yet because I’ve been sidetracked by mini dresses!   That is Anna’s fault.   So I will be trying out the newest pattern in the next few days and post the results when I get one made.

One last thing about these 2 coats, I am super happy with the way the neck strap is working out now.   I made it more narrow on this pattern and that helped a lot.  I really like how it’s hitting on her neck now.  It’s not up high and pushing right on her throat like many of the coats/harnesses do, which is important on these little dogs, the pressure is more on her shoulders.

Here is a comparison shot of the 2 coats to show the difference between the 2 patterns:

This entry was posted on Monday, May 16th, 2011 at 4:18 am and is filed under Chihuahuas, Crafts. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a Reply